I know it is difficult to get millet here.My mom had brought some during her last visit.Also taught me the method to prepare.Today my husband is not gonna come for lunch (he don’t like kambu sadham), so lemme try my hands on kambu sadham.To go along with this i have prepared groundnut chuntey.You can also have greens, sambar or dry fish curry (ada namma karuvaattu kulambu thaan) with this.
You must do a great deal of prep work before you cook millet.Fortunately my mom had done all those wonders.You have to grind the millet coarsely in order to remove the husk.
Kambu Sadham :
1) For one cup of millet you may need around 4 cups of water.
2) Heat the water in the vessel which can get into a pressure cooker.We are going to precook the millet before setting into the pressure cooker.
3) Once the water gets boiled add the millet.Keep cooking till you find the millet sticky and of porridge consistency.
4) Once it has come to this state, transfer the bowl to the pressure cooker and cook for 4-5 whistles.
I know this one is tricky, as you keep trying several times you will get it 🙂
Roastedgroundnut (skin peeled) – 1/4 cup
Coconut (freshly grated/ desiccated) – 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds – 1 tbs
Red chilies – 3-4
Garlic – 1 small pod (optional)
For tempering – Mustard seeds,curry leaves.
Grind the roasted groundnut, coconut,cumin seeds , garlic and red chilies with required amount of water.Temper the chutney with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
I got some Italian sausage over the weekend just to make sausage biryani , got influenced due to “Daily Musings” recipe. It had come out really well.When i was wondering what should i do with the remaining links i remembered my mom’s recipe for Kothu kari (Ground Chicken/Meat). So why not try that on this.Here you go…
Ground Chicken/Meat or Italian Sausage – 1 lb
Fennel Seeds / Saunf – 1 tbs
Garlic & Ginger paste – 1-2 tbs
Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
Curry leaves – finely chopped
Coriander powder – 2 tbs
Chili powder – 1 tbs
1) Take a pressure cooker, add some oil and saute fennel seeds,onion and curry leaves.Add salt.Saute till onion turns translucent.
2) Next add ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw smell vanishes.
3) Add coriander powder and chili powder.
4) Remove the casing from sausage and add the meat/ground chicken to the sauteed items.
5) Saute for 2-3 minutes and add a cup of water.Pressure cook for 10-15 minutes.
Delicious kothu kari is ready.This goes well with rice and chapati.