Toor dal – 1 cup
Tomatoes – 2
Onion – 1 medium size
Tamarind extract from 1 lime size ball
Grind to paste:
Fry the following items in a dry pan till you get a nice aroma and grind to paste with little amount of water.
Coriander seeds – 2 tbs
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tbs
Peppercorns – 4-6
Fenugreek/Methi seeds – 1/2 tbs
Red chilies – 4
1) Heat oil/ghee in a pan, add mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chilies.
2) Make julienne cut on the onion (thick pieces).
3) Add onion and saute for a while.Next add chopped tomatoes.
4) Now add the ground paste and tamarind extract.Let it cook for few minutes. Big chunks of onion cooked in this mixture brings a special taste.
5) Add cooked dhal, salt and a pinch of sugar.
6) Garnish with cilantro.
Arachu vitta sambar is ready.