Another version of mint/cilantro chutney. This recipe is from my aunty(periamma). Now that mint is everywhere in the backyard i tend to prepare this often. This chutney is my friend’s favorite. They all loved it a lot.
Urid dal – 1 tsp
Red chilies – 2-3
Shallots – 10-15 or red onion – 1 medium
Mint/ Cilantro – few twigs
Tamarind – 2-3 small pieces
grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Oil – 2-3 tbsp
1. Heat a wide skillet pan and add oil. Once it gets heated add urid dal and red chilies. Fry till urid dal gets brown.
2. Next add the shallots/onion. Fry till golden brown.
3. Add mint/cilantro. Saute till they wilt.
4. Add tamarind, salt and coconut. Turn off the flame and saute the coconut with skillet heat.
5. Grind all the ingredients into fine paste.
This goes well with rice, dosa and idli.