Few weeks back we had been to this place called “Vietnam Kitchen” at Louisville, KY. They served some amazing Pho and had extensive authentic menu.Since the day i tasted their Pho, i wanted try some soup of their style, found recipe over i/net and finally made my own version that comes below. But i bet the Pho from Vietnam Kitchen was the best. 🙂
Chicken – 1/2 to 1 lb (pieces with bones preferred)
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Ginger – 1 inch (crushed/grated)
Bay leaf – 1
Ground pepper – 1 tsp
Mint/Cilantr/Basil – depending on your taste
Rice noodle – 1/2 lb ( I bought this from local chinese store)
You may use conventional oven or range top to prepare the stock.
1) In 1.5 litres of water add the chicken pieces and crushed ginger.Allow this to boil in medium low flame for 2 -3 hrs.(350 F for oven).Never let the water boil, all you need is a clear broth.
2) During the final half an hour add bay leaf, cumin powder and pepper powder.
3) Filter the stew. Discard the ginger and the bay leaf. Shred the chicken into small pieces.
4) Make noodles as per instructions on the package.Prepare noodles just before you want to serve the soup.
5) In the soup bowl add very little cilantro/mint/basil, little shredded chicken,scoop of rice noodles and few scoops of chicken stew. Add green chili sauce if you like your soup to be spicy.
Enjoy Pho Ga during a rainy evening and yes, you are in heaven. 🙂
Here are the visitors of our backyard during last few weeks.