Toor Dal – 3/4 cup
Rice – 1 cup
Sambar powder – 1 tbs
Onion – 1/2 (cut into huge chunks)
Tomato – 2 (cut into huge chunks)
Green chilies – 3
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
1. Clean the rice & dal. Soak in water for few minutes.
2. In a pressure pan, heat some oil and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
3. Add curry leaves, green chilies & onion.Saute till the onion gets translucent.
4. Add tomato , salt and sambar powder. Saute for a while.
5. Add required amount of water to cook dal & rice.Drain water from rice & dal mixture.
6. Taste salt then add rice, dal mixture.Pressure cook upto 3 whistles.
This dish is the most favorite comfort food in our daily cuisine.You can enjoy this with any of your favorite side dish.
The given recipe is my hubby’s style, my mom prepares this without tomato & sambar powder, instead add few crushed garlic cloves , crushed peppercorns and cumin seeds.