Black eyed beans – 1 cup
Bottle guard – 1 cup chopped
Tamarind extract – 1 cup
Sambar powder – 1 tbs
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Onion – 1 small size
Green chilies – 2
Aesofoetida/Hing – 1 pinch
Curry leaves – 1 stick
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
For Curry powder:
Split pigeon peas/Toor dal – 1 tbs
Rice – 1 tbs
Fenugreek/Methi seeds – 1/4 tbs
Fry the above three items in a dry pan and grind them to make a fine powder.You can store this and use them whenever you prepare this curry.
1) Pressure cook the beans for three whistles with turmeric powder and 2 cups of water.
2) Once the pressure is released add chopped bottle guard , tamarind extract , salt and sambar powder and cook for one more whistle.
3) Once the pressure is released add 2 tbs of the curry powder and cook for few minutes. Curry will get thick by adding this powder.
4) In a pan with 1 tbs oil add mustard seeds, curry leaves , slit green chilies , aesofoetida and onion. Saute well before adding to curry.
5) Add the seasoning to curry and cook for a minute.
tbs – tablespoon
tsp – teaspoon